Saturday 5 May 2012

The Dark Arches and Minor Law Breaking

So, today I went to the arches underneath Leeds rail station. The Leeds/ Liverpool canal passes through a section of them and because of this they were once bustling trade centre. Now, however, they are dark, empty and isolated. While they are not abandoned in anyway they have been forgotten by most of Leeds and now are used as parking for those that work by the canal. They are a perfect example of the echo of life that once was, just out of sight of the public and ignored completely.
The first thing that hit me was the overwhelming sound of the canal. it was fantastic.
The second thing that I noticed was the dank air, cold and damp it chills you immediately. I tried to capture this in my photographs but i'm not sure I managed.












Then I visited a construction site on the opposite side of the canal, as the entry gate was not locked in any major way I assumed that the site was safe enough to take photos in. It was not, as the very friendly and helpful site manager with no teeth informed me. 











No comments:

Post a Comment